Digitally editing a traditional watercolor!

Updating a Portfolio Piece 

from this:

This piece shows off my technique but is too sedentary for my portfolio.
I wanted to keep the basic image, but update it with more interaction.

To This!

More interaction between the characters!

 Original Shots:

Not very interesting.
Cute, but boring.
Looking at my characters I decided that it would be better for the drummer to be performing
and to have the other toys reacting to the music. So I modified the doll, and the lamb
and added a second arm to the wooden soldier to show more animation:

First, I traced the original watercolor and then modified the characters (keeping them to scale),
scanned the image and printed it out on my watercolor paper.
 Once I had my image I made note to the original pallet and painted traditionally glazing and building the colors.

You can see the phantom soldier arm and foot. These will be layered onto the digital image
altering the original watercolor image.
Here is the finished "revised" illustration. I scanned and used Photoshop to all a new layer and merge the two images.
Here is the finished image.
(but I see in this pic, his foot is still a little transparent.... I will have to check on that.)


Popular Posts